When deciding whether you should supplement, it is best to understand what the word supplement means. It is defined as something that completes or enhances something else when added to it. When you think of this in terms of nutritional supplements, they are meant to enhance your health. Personally, I love the extra energy that my vitamins, minerals and other supplements provide me when I am working out. I never take stimulants, only supplements, and I am a firm believer in taking a base supplementation regime every day.
The most common question I get as a personal trainer is “What supplements do you take every day?”This list is my base. When I am training I may need to add a few things to the mix but every day, this is what I take:
- Multivitamin in capsule form
- 1500mg of slow release vitamin C
- Super Critical Omega high potency fish oil capsule
- 5-8 Vitamin D drops 1000 IU
- Protein shake with a flax-based fibre, one scoop protein powder, and a teaspoon of greens or sea vegetables (doesn’t taste as bad as it sounds!)
Here are 10 reasons why you should take supplements daily:
- Our food source isn’t as whole as it once was, and our daily requirement for fruits and veggies has doubled in the past 15yrs.
- Supplements are a natural way of boosting your immune system and a cost effective way of keeping yourself healthy.
- Supplementation helps to transport and feed your muscles. It also helps to counter any minor or major deficiencies you may have. A common one being Vitamin D due to lack of sunlight and overuse of sunscreen.
- They keep your body and hormones balanced.
- Supplementation provides anti-oxidants (like vitamins A,C and E) that we can’t get 100% from food.
- Most medications deplete essential nutrients and in this age of pharmaceutical drugs, supplements help to restore balance.
- Supplementation may aid in preventing some health issues like high cholesterol.
- Supplements are generally in a form that is easy for your body to absorb and utilize.
- They help with oxidative stress.
- Supplementation, diet and exercise are the fountain of youth…take it from a mother of three!